Written by Guest Blogger, Mario Passoni. All photos taken by Sarah Lewis
Join a liveaboard trip to Komodo National Park that involves looking for manta rays and all the marvelous underwater life that this UNESCO World Heritage Site has to offer.
On board, you’ll be joined by Niv Froman, an expert from the Manta Trust. Through his manta ray expertise and lectures, he’ll help you fall in love with these elegant fish.
As a part of our ecotourism project, a portion of the proceeds from this trip will be donated to the Manta Trust. This will help them carry out their current and future projects.
- Where: Komodo, Indonesia
- When: New dates are coming soon
- Who: Manta Trust
- Trip Duration: 7 nights
- Liveaboard: MSY Aurora
- Research Activities: Identification of manta rays; Survey of the manta ray population
- Target Group: Divers, snorkelers, families, students and manta addicts
- Max Number of Guests: 16
- Price: USD $2,520 per person
The itinerary will vary depending on manta sightings so that you enjoy the best chances of swimming and interacting with these gentle giants.
- Day 1: Arrive in Labuan Bajo. Welcome on board and briefing.
- Day 2-7: Diving and snorkelling through Komodo National Park, visiting Matak Makassar and German Flag (known also as Manta Alley). You will also enjoy a tour on Komodo Island looking for Komodo dragons.
- Day 8: Return to Labuan Bajo for your departure.
Located in Indonesia, Komodo National Park is one of the best places in the world for diving and snorkeling. The park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is one of the seven natural wonders of the world.
Here you’ll find an extraordinary variety of marine life, including nudibranchs, starfish, schools of tropical fish, sea turtles, dolphins and more.
Komodo National Park is also famous as the home to one of the largest, year-round population of manta rays. You’ll have the opportunity to swim at a spectacular cleaning station where manta rays arrive to get cleaned by other fish.
In addition, you’ll be joined on the boat by Niv, a marine biologist and expert on manta rays. He will involve you in the Manta Trust’s project, which studies the manta ray population in order to protect them. Through his knowledge and passion, you’ll learn more about manta rays and the unforgettable local marine life.
You are welcome to help Niv as much or as little as you wish in collecting data about the local manta ray population. Get involved and protect these charming animals!
We have scheduled this trip during the best time of year to spot manta rays, but don’t forget these are wild animals in their natural habitat, so we cannot guarantee sightings.
The Manta Trust
A UK registered charity, the Trust’s mission is to advance the worldwide conservation of manta rays and their habitat through robust science and research, by raising awareness, and by providing education, influence and action.
The Manta Trust was formed in 2011 to co-ordinate global research and conservation efforts for these amazing animals, their close relatives and their habitat.
Data Collection: The Manta Trust has a number of research projects worldwide, such as incorporating population data, researching manta movements, and completing genetic analyses – to name a few. These projects serve to further the understanding of the general ecology of manta and mobula rays.
The Aurora is 138 feet (42m) long and 30 feet (9m) wide. On board, you’ll have the choice of three types of cabins: king size cabins with an additional single, a cabin with a king size bed only or a cabin with 2 single beds.
Air conditioning is available throughout the boat. While you are not diving, the Aurora offers different entertainment options, including audio-video entertainment, a library, fish identification sessions and snorkeling.
For each meal, the Aurora serves a buffet, an a la carte menu or a set menu of fine cuisine. You will have a wide choice of vegetarian food, halal food, gluten free food and snacks.
- New dates are coming soon
- Diving and snorkeling equipment
- Underwater camera
The Trip Includes
- Lectures and talks on manta rays, whale sharks and the local marine life from a Manta Trust expert
- Full board including all soft drinks on board
- 3 dives daily plus one night dive, subject to weather conditions and cruise route
- Transfers from the airport to the MSY Aurora and back
- Accommodation in a double-bed or twin-bed cabin with an en-suite bathroom and AC
- Tour to Komodo Island, searching for Komodo Dragons
- Free diving insurance offered by Diviac
The Trip Doesn’t Include
- Beer, wine and spirits
- Snorkeling and diving equipment (for rental)
- International and domestic flights
- Service charge of USD $10 per night per person
- Komodo National Park fee – USD $20/day to be payed on site
- Travel insurance
- Travel and medical insurance