From October 16-31, 2023, we’ll be accepting applications (and nominations) for new PADI AmbassaDivers™. We’re looking for people who champion their local dive environment and actively share their passion for the underwater world.
Do any of the scenarios below describe you or someone you know? If so, you may be in the presence of a future AmbassaDiver:
- Learning to scuba dive (or freedive) was a turning point in their life.
- Whenever you hang out, the conversation inevitably turns to diving.
- They can’t walk (or swim) by a piece of debris without picking it up.
- Their social media feed is full of underwater adventures, marine life memes and conservation messages.
PADI AmbassaDiver FAQs
Want to know more about becoming a PADI AmbassaDiver? Read on to discover the answers to the most frequently asked questions.
What information do I need to apply or nominate someone?
The application is a short, online survey. Here’s what you need to know:
- There’s no minimum age, but we require an active social media presence. In many countries, the minimum age for a social media account is 13.
- There is a field for certification level. If you are not a certified diver or freediver, simply write “not certified.”
- Be prepared to list relevant achievements and experience, and (briefly) explain how you, or the person you’re nominating, will inspire others to try diving and become ocean stewards.
What if I’m not an instructor or a professional photographer?
We love looking at beautiful images from around the world (who doesn’t?), but pretty photos alone aren’t enough to be a PADI AmbassaDiver. As the name suggests, we’re looking for people who are ambassadors for diving. An AmbassaDiver should inspire others to try diving, dive locally, and be a voice for the ocean.
A PADI Instructor who teaches a lot of students doesn’t automatically qualify to be an AmbassaDiver either. PADI Pros who aspire to become AmbassaDivers should make an exceptional effort to promote diving in their area and/or support conservation.
What if I’m not a certified diver?
You don’t have to be a certified diver or freediver to be a PADI AmbassaDiver; however, one of the questions on the application is, “How will you inspire others to try diving and become ocean stewards?” If you’re not already a diver or freediver, consider how you will answer this question.
If your social media followers are passionate about conservation, travel, and/or ocean sports, we’d love to introduce them (and you!) to scuba diving. In your application, tell us how you’ll encourage others to try diving once you’re certified.
How many social media followers do I need?
We look for applicants with a strong and active social media following, but there isn’t a minimum follower number to apply. We recognize a small but passionate group can be more influential than a large, disconnected one.
That said, saving the ocean will take billions of us in a united effort. So, if all other factors are equal, the size of an applicant’s active following may determine who gets selected.
When will PADI start accepting new AmbassaDiver applications/nominations?
The next application period begins in October. Applications will be reviewed in October/November and new AmbassaDivers will be notified in December.
What’s the difference between a PADI Torchbearer and a PADI AmbassaDiver?
PADI Torchbearers are 100% focused on saving the ocean. They seek to bring about meaningful change and restore the balance between the oceans and humanity.
A PADI AmbassaDiver is passionate about ocean conservation, but it may not be their primary activity. For example, 2020 AmbassaDiver Alex Rendell started an educational program in Thailand to teach children about marine science, scuba diving and how to be an advocate for the environment.
What are the benefits of being a PADI AmbassaDiver?
- Increased visibility and amplification of messages
- Greater awareness of your programs and initiatives
- The opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals (other AmbassaDivers)
- New friendships with people around the world
Ready to Apply or Nominate Someone?
Click the button below to get started. We look forward to reviewing your application!